In which pitching category are the Red Sox 21st overall?
The Red Sox have run out to a 5.5 game lead in the American League East and lead all of baseball with 54 wins. The series with the Angels continues tonight with Ryan Dempster (5-8) on the mound vs Jerome Williams (5-4). On Sunday the series ends with a marquee matchup with John Lackey (6-5) going against the Angels ace Jered Weaver (2-4).
- The Red Sox lead the Majors in runs (451), on base percentage (.351) and slugging percentage (.449)
- The pitching staff is 10th in ERA (3.80), 6th in quality starts (51) but only 21st in WHIP (1.33)
- Ryan Dempster might be in for a tough night against the middle of the Angels order, Albert Pujols has 8 home runs in 60 previous at bats against the righty
- Mike Trout, Mark Trumbo are two more players of five on the Angels roster who have homered against Dempster
- Dempster has thrown 6 wild pitches in 100 innings so far this season, his career high was 11 in 2009
- Williams will also have his hands full, the home run heroes from Friday night, David Ortiz and Mike Napoli have two home runs apiece against the Hawaiian
- Last time out Williams was shelled for 7 earned runs in just 1.2 innings
- Against the AL this season Weaver has a 5.70 ERA, losing games against the AL East’s New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles
- Lackey has pitched to a 2.89 ERA against AL opponents
- Since 1901 the Red Sox are 145-159 against the Angels on the road
Tags: American League East, Boston Red Sox, Jered Weaver, John Lackey, Mike Napoli, Ryan Dempster
Share this story